Friday, April 4, 2014

An Open Letter Asking for Help from the Seventh-day Adventist Leadership for Dr. Teleka Patrick


April 3, 2014
President Ted N.C. Wilson
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring Maryland 20904
United States of America

Re: Dr. Teleka Patrick- Missing Person from Kalamazoo, Michigan

Dear President Wilson:

I am a professional investigator in Michigan and working for the family of Dr. Teleka Patrick who disappeared from the Kalamazoo, Michigan area on December 5, 2013. Her vehicle was found along the westbound shoulder of Interstate 94 in Porter, Indiana. I won't go into all the details here because the story has captured the interest of the public across the globe, and a name search for myself or Dr. Patrick will allow you to view the specifics of this case.

On Saturday, April 5, 2014 Dr. Patrick will have been missing for 4 months and this tragedy has taken a toll on her parents and family. Teleka and others in her family are very devout and spiritual people, and Dr. Patrick herself worked her way up through your church steps, and vehemently quoted God and Scripture to all the people she met in her life. Her studies at Loma Linda University in California were not only in the area of medicine, but theology. She truly is a wonderful, gifted, good person.

My purpose in writing to you is to ask for the prayers of everyone in your church to help bring Teleka home. I understand that previously the family has asked for assistance from your worldwide congregation, but they have received no response. Although I am a Roman Catholic by faith, and an altar boy during my early years in parochial school, I received my undergraduate and graduate degrees from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, For the last five years I have continued my enrollment at Liberty for an advanced degree in the area of counseling. I truly have been inspired by the Word of God in my curriculum, and it has made me a better person and a better student.

In January after taking on this investigation, I asked for prayers from Liberty University and one of the officials there knew about Dr. Patrick's case. Within 24 hours a massive email was sent out to students and alumni requesting that people pray for Teleka's safe return. That gesture truly comforted the entire Patrick family, its friends and supporters.

Ten years ago I donated my services to another family of a missing woman, Mary Denise Lands, in Marshall, Michigan. I stated I would never again take on a missing persons case, because they are so difficult for all concerned. When I met Teleka's parent's, Irene and Matthias Patrick, I was so overwhelmed by their spirituality, faith, and hope, that I had to accept this unique case. I was personally inspired by Mrs. Patrick's comment that they do not question why God permitted this to happen to their daughter and family, but with just as much devotion and unshakeable faith they know that the Lord will bring Teleka home. It was a very powerful statement, and it documents how strong their devotion to God is, even under the worst of circumstances.

I often quote Scripture in my research papers, and I find comfort in one particular verse about faith and hope, which I know the Patrick family also trusts; "What is faith? It is the confident assurance  that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see." (Hebrews 11:1) New Living Translation.

President Wilson, I hope you will send a message of hope to the Patrick family, the student and alumni body at Loma Linda, and ask for those in all of your congregations to pray for Teleka' safe return. I know the power of prayer, and it can help to bring her home.

Thank you for any consideration you may provide in this matter.

Respectfully submitted,

Jim Carlin, M.A., MFT
Justinian Investigative Services

cc: Matthias and Irene Patrick

No comments: